Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1875
Terraced three-bay three-storey bank building, constructed 1874 to designs by architect Sandham Symes, having single-storey hip-roofed extension to rear south elevation. Pitched M-profile slate roof concealed behind lead-covered parapet with moulded sandstone capping forming projecting cornice supported on square corbels. Brick chimneystacks with over-sailing courses and moulded capping to both party walls, and with central brick chimneystack to valley. Mixture of cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Flemish bond brick walling to upper floors to front facade with ashlar sandstone bank front and chamfer-jointed sandstone quoins, and with plinth. String course above level of quoins, sill course to top floor and moulded course to first floor doubling as top of fascia to ground floor. Smooth rendered rear and side elevations. Square-headed window openings to first floor, segmental-headed openings to top floor and to tripartite display window to ground floor, all with moulded stone architraves. Ground floor and top floor openings have keystones, pyramidal to top floor and scrolled to ground. First floor openings have moulded cornices, rectangular panels below and scrolled knees. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to front elevation, with ogee-moulded horns, ground floor window having scrolled detail to tops of mullions. Rear windows have six-over-six pane arrangement. Square-headed door opening with moulded stone frame supporting scrolled consoles and moulded cornice, overlight, and four-panel timber door with stone step.
This bank is one Castleblayney's finest buildings. The contrast between red brick and cut and carved sandstone is notable and a variety of treatments to the window and door openings add much interest to the facade. The building also forms a pleasant element in the stepped roofscape of Main Street, and its detailing contrasts with the rendered neighbour to each side.