Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced three-bay three-storey building, constructed c.1880, having single-bay two-storey hip-roofed extension to rear south elevation and single-storey flat-roofed range to rear. Hipped slate roof having pediment to front façade, dog-tooth brick cornice to side elevations and smooth rendered chimneystacks with simple moulded render detail. Mixture of cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Painted smooth-rendered walling, with moulded render details. Egg and dart moulding beneath entablature of pediment. Top floor has impost course, window openings are segmental-headed with moulded surrounds above impost level having keystones, and chamfered below. middle floor has square-headed window openings with moulded surrounds, knees and label-mouldings and with decorative vents above. Ground floor has moulded impost course, triangular-headed door and window openings with moulded surrounds above impost level, piers with string course flanking openings, and moulded plinth. All front window frames are one-over-one pane timber sliding sash with ogee-moulded horns while rear windows have two-over-two pane arrangements. Square-headed door opening with segmental-headed overlight and partially glazed panelled timber door. Roundels within spandrels of ground floor openings contain moulded rosette motif. Modern replacement lighting and signage.
This tall building is particularly distinctive on the main street of Castleblayney and has notable render decoration to its opening surrounds and in the various decorative devices in the facade. It has also retained many timber sash windows. It contributes to the variety of structures on Castleblayney's main thoroughfare.