Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced five-bay three-storey public house and shop, c.1810, with integral carriage arch to west end. Top floor is addition of c.1920. Pitched roof with fibre-cement tiles and replacement decorative terracotta ridge. Single brick chimneystack on party wall between pub and shop, with moulded over-sailing courses and cast-iron ogee-profile rainwater goods with mixture of cast-iron and plastic downpipe. Smooth channelled cement rendered walls to lower floors, painted to ground floor, with render sill course to lower floors incorporating stone sills. Square-headed window openings with replacement uPVC frames. Square-headed doorway to centre of pub front with fluted pilasters holding consoles and moulded render dentillated cornice over moulded panel and six-panel timber door with overlight. Middle bay of ground floor has two windows with painted stone sills and fluted architraves with nail-head mouldings to corners, and replacement uPVC frames. East of doorway is timber pub front with plain pilasters holding acanthus leaf-decorated consoles and replacement plastic-sheeted fascia. Double-leaf timber panelled doors with overlight to public house, with replacement timber display window over glazed tiled stall-riser. Butcher's shop towards west end has replacement timber shopfront with clock above centre of fascia, and timber-sheeted doors to three-centred integral archway.
This is a traditionally proportioned building retaining several features and clues to its original arrangement including the fenestration pattern. The ground floor render detailing around the window and door openings adds to the character of the property.