Survey Data

Reg No

41308015


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Post office


In Use As

Office


Date

1840 - 1910


Coordinates

282661, 319771


Date Recorded

30/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey house, built c.1860, with integral square-headed carriageway to east end bay, two-bay two-storey extension to rear under catslide roof which incorporates two late twentieth-century rooflights, and further single-storey flat-roofed structures beyond. Converted for use as post office in 1909, with attic-level rooms lit by continuous front lucarne, to designs by John McGahon. Pitched roof with fibre-cement tiles concealed behind parapet to front, south, façade. Cement-rendered brick chimneystack with seven plain clay pots, and smaller stack on west party wall with cast-iron hopper and replacement uPVC downpipe. Painted smooth ruled-and-lined rendered walls to front façade and east gable with projecting moulded render sill and string courses, front elevation having moulded architraves to first floor openings and chamfered and stopped reveals to second floor. Roughcast rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings have one-over-one pane timber sliding sash frames with convex horns to front south elevation, while frames to rear elevation are mostly two-over-two pane. Replacement timber windows to middle bays of shopfront, square-headed doorway to west end with overlight and panelled timber door, all openings framed by moulded render pilasters. Shopfront has architrave, fascia with raised plaster lettering and metal harp motif over doorway, and moulded render cornice. Post box incorporated into moulded render sill of one display window and extends into smooth rendered stall riser with moulded render base.

Appraisal

This is a distinctly individual building with a bolder, more robust masonry appearance than many neighbouring structures of similar or earlier age as a result of its early twentieth-century alterations. Elegant lettering and simple shopfront decoration enhance its historic significance and the early addition of the official State emblem over the doorway is a very measured and dignified means of 're-branding' while respecting the original architectural composition.