Categories of Special Interest
Historical Social Technical
Canal (section of)
1835 - 1845
Disused section of Ulster Canal, built c.1840. Consists of approximately three hundred metres of overgrown canal channel from concrete culvert at south-west end which provides access to field from Cavan Road at townland boundary between Crossmoyle and Teehill, past restored Ulster Canal Stores building where there is another overgrown concrete culvert to marshy area north-east of these structures. Water level of narrow channel appears to be mostly around one metre below surrounding banks but has had section of north-western bank raised to facilitate car parking area for Canal Stores facility. Former harbour in front of Stores building has also been filled in level with bank on opposite south side of canal. No historic masonry or features visible on this stretch of canal. Remains of single circular-plan stone pier holding wrought-iron field gate onto former roadway abandoned when canal was constructed directly opposite existing Canal Stores building.
This surviving section of the Ulster Canal was built between 1834 and 1841 to plans by Directors General of Inland Navigation engineer, John Killaly. Work was completed by contractor William Dargan following Killaly's death in 1832 and the canal linked Lough Neagh with Lough Erne up to 1931 when it was closed and drained. The intended route of the canal is indicated on the 1834 Ordnance Survey of the area although the canal was actually constructed slightly north of this proposed route. This site continues to provide a habitat for aquatic species as well as forming an essential part of the context for the former Canal Stores building which is presently in use as a heritage and visitor facility. Although it bears only partial resemblance to its original appearance, together with other surviving locks, bridges and structures, this stretch of canal continues to illustrate an important feature of civil engineering in Clones. Plans to reopen the canal, if realised, would see the canal in use again, as a recreational waterway.