Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-bay house, built c.1840, and one of row of four similar houses. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks. Roughly coursed rubble limestone walling with squared quoins, having chamfer to ground floor of south-west corner facilitating carriage arch of building to west, and with recently replaced red brick dressings to openings. Square-headed openings with replacement uPVC windows and timber door, latter having dressed limestone plinth-blocks. Plaque to front elevation reads 'This house was the first residence of the Sisters of St Louis in Ireland 1859'.
One of a terrace of four similar tall houses on Mill Street, this one was the first residence of the Sisters of Saint Louis, an institution that has had a major impact on the town for a century and a half. The building displays pleasing mottled limestone, and its openings, together with those of its neighbours to the east, create a strong horizontal rhythm in the streetscape.