Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1860
Freestanding granite Classical-style ashlar sandstone obelisk, designed 1857 by W.J. Barre. Supported on elaborate plinth with base of five steps, widely projecting cornice having pediments to each face, stylised anthemia to corners, and square headed architraves to each face. Memorial plaque to east face. Stele on east face inscribed 'Alma' and 'Inkerman'. Memorial plaque reads 'Erected by the Inhabitants of the County of Monaghan in memory of Lieutenant Colonel The Honorable Thos. Vesey Dawson, Coldstream Guards, who fell in the Battle of Inkerman, November 5th 1854. His remains lie on a foreign shore, but the brave and the good, [...] hearts of their countrymen, as this obelisk, Will testify to posterity'. Prominently sited in Church Square.
This classical monument occupies the middle of the most central of Monaghan's public spaces. It was built to remember Colonel Dawson who was killed at Inkerman in 1854 during the Crimean War. The height of the obelisk, coupled with its elaborate plinth and steps, serves as an important social and historical landmark in the town.