Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Attached six-bay three-storey building, built c.1830, in use as shop, with recent shopfront to ground floor, and same height one-bay annex to east. Hipped replacement slate roof with projecting eaves on moulded corbels, red brick chimneystacks, and replacement rainwater goods. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling to upper floors to Mill Street elevations, roughcast render to rear, with chamfered dressed ashlar quoins to south-west corner, and limestone facing to shopfront. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and timber horned sliding one-over-one pane sash windows. Wide square-headed doorways to annex and to west gable, latter elevation also having square-headed timber panelled door.
Black's Pharmacy occupies a prominent corner site in the centre of Monaghan Town, two houses on Mill Street and a third on Church Square. It is distinctive for its corbelled eaves and the retention of timber sash windows. The exposed corner indicates the good quality of the limestone masonry.