Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1840. Part of row of four similar houses. Now in use as public house. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks and stone eaves course. Roughly coursed rubble limestone walling. Square-headed openings with cut-stone lintels and sills, and having eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows, and replacement double-leaf timber panelled door, latter with dressed stone plinth blocks.
This house, one of a row of four, was formerly part of the first convent of the Sisters of Saint Louis in Ireland. The varied tones of the stonework and the retention of timber sash windows adds interest to the building, as does the rhythm of windows across the row of buildings. The sturdy plinth blocks to the doorway add a slightly quirky element to the building.