Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited three-bay three-storey house, built c.1820, with three-bay three-storey return, and with five-bay two-storey addition to north-west. Now in use as public house. Integral carriageway to east end bay, and with entrances to front and side elevations. Pitched slate roof with grey clayware ridge tiles, smooth-rendered and brick chimneystacks, cast-iron profile guttering and downpipes, exposed king-post timber truss to west gable with decorative saw-tooth detail and supported on decorative moulded console brackets. Smooth-rendered walls with eaves course, and having moulded cornice to whole of ground floor of front and north-west blocks except for carriage arch. Square-headed window openings, front elevation having chamfered margins, and decorative keystone details to first floor. Timber sliding sash windows, mainly one-over-one pane, with four-over-two and six-over-three to ground floor, with painted stone sills. Square-headed door openings with replacement double-leaf glazed timber doors overlights. Depressed-arch vehicular entrance having recent double-leaf sheet metal door.
This building is notable for its good decorative detailing, most evidently in the false truss to the gable, the moulded cornice to the ground floor, and more subtly in the chamfering of the front window surrounds. The retention of varied timber sash windows enhances the building and this prominent site in the town centre.