Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1890
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, built c.1870, slightly recessed from street line, with canted alternate bays, and with integral carriage arch to east. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof, with smooth rendered and stepped red brick chimneystacks with terracotta pots, and having replacement rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walling, sill course with moulded course under to top floor, sill course to first floor, and moulded cornice to ground floor, and having smooth rendered plinth course. Square-headed window openings, with moulded render architraves and decorative keystones, and cut limestone sills. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor of west bay, replacement uPVC elsewhere, with wrought-iron railings to ground floor. Square-headed door opening, with moulded render architrave, decorative keystone, rendered plinth-blocks, and replacement timber door with overlight. Segmental integral carriage arch with replacement timber closure. Cast-iron bollards to front.
This house is notable for the full-height alternating canted bays and the profusion of good quality render detailing. The canted bays present a strongly symmetrical appearance, despite the further bay with the archway, the wide blank spaces between the bays being an interesting feature. The retention of timber sash windows enhances the building. The subtle recessing of the building enhances its setting in a street that is notable for the number of architecturally significant structures.