Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Attached three-bay four-storey house-over-shop, built c.1800, with attic floor and having chamfered south-west corner. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystack having polygonal terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls with banded channelled quoins to upper floor levels, smooth-rendered plinth and with moulded cornice of possible former fascia to ground floor. Red brick to north gable. Square-headed window openings with painted sills and replacement uPVC windows. Timber casement display windows to shopfront. Square-headed door opening with recessed replacement timber door with overlight.
This is one of the tallest houses in Hill Street, a characteristic emphasised by the diminishing window openings. Although the ground floor has been altered and windows replaced the structure nevertheless forms an integral and dominant part of the streetscape at the south end of the street.