Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1870 - 1875
Large monumental fountain, erected c.1871, comprising carved limestone aedicule on moulded limestone plinth, with polygonal fountain basin to front with moulded rim, over two granite steps. Cast-iron dragon spout. Aedicule has cast-iron bust of Charles Powell Leslie M.P. on moulded corbel within concave hemispherical recess with moulded frame, having moulded panel beneath with inscription 'To Charles Powell Leslie MP by his grateful tenants/Born 1821/Died 1871', all flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting entablature and segmental pediment, latter with moulded cornice, dentils and having vegetal ornament and 'CPL' monogram to tympanum. Lower part of aedicule flanked by decorated scrolls. Monument fitted into Main Street boundary of Castle Leslie demesne.
This elaborate carved limestone monument commemorates a member of the Leslie family, founders of Glaslough village. Its strong classical form emphasises the wealth of, and architectural influences, on the estate. The bust of Charles Leslie and the dragon spout are excellent examples of metal casting. Great care is evident in the carving of the pediment decoration. The prominent siting of the monument, in the middle of the village, displays it to its best and also indicates the Leslie estate's proprietorial control of Glaslough.