Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use

Mill (wind)


1760 - 1820


232936, 400922

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding single-bay three-stage former windmill on circular-plan, built c. 1780. Now disused. Roof missing/collapsed. Gently tapering random rubble stone walls with evidence of render over. Square-headed windows openings with timber lintels; timber fittings now gone. Stepped square-headed entrance door opening with stepped stone lintels over, and having segmental-headed relieving arch over with rubble stone voussoirs. Located on small rise in rural countryside to the north of Lifford.


This former windmill, probably dating to the second half of the eighteenth century, is an interesting feature of some historic appeal on the rural landscape to the north of Lifford. It is robustly built using local rubble stone masonry and probably originally had a swiveling timber sail mechanism to the top, now removed/collapsed. This is a rare surviving example of its type in Donegal although there is an impressive windmill (see 40834005) located close by to the south of Ballindrait at Croaghan Hill. There were very few windmills in Donegal at any stage, and an 1840 inventory of windmills in Ireland only records three in the county at the time. It is erroneously indicated as a ‘round tower’ on the c. 1837 Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map, which suggests it was out of use by this time. It has almost vertical walls, which is a feature of windmills dating to the eighteenth century and earlier (later windmills tend to have strongly tapering walls such as seen at the example close to Ballindrait, which was built in 1874). The mill would have once been of importance to the local agricultural community for the grinding of corn. This structure is a local landmark, and an interesting addition to the built and industrial heritage of County Donegal.