Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Complex of single- and two-storey outbuildings associated with three-bay two-storey house (altered and not in survey), built c. 1860, comprising main central six-bay two-storey outbuilding with three-bay two-storey wing to north-east having single-storey block attached to north-east end, and with three-bay two-storey house attached to south-west forming courtyard. Hipped and pitched natural slate roof with red brick eaves course, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pitched corrugated-metal roof to single-storey block. Partially rendered rubble stone walls with flush roughly squared and dressed quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with red brick reveals and remains of timber fittings; some round/ocular openings with red brick surrounds. Square-headed doorways and loading bays with red brick surrounds and remains of timber fittings. Square- and segmental-headed carriage-arches with red brick surrounds and voussoirs with remains of timber fittings. Set to north-east of altered private dwelling and approached by laneway to south-east with modern hay barn to site. Located in the rural countryside to the south-west of Ballindrait.
This substantial complex of mainly two-storey outbuildings, of mid-to-late nineteenth century date, retains its original form and character. Its visual appeal and integrity is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric including the natural slate roofs. These outbuildings are robustly constructed in local rubble stone masonry and their survival in relatively good condition despite being largely out of use for a considerable period is testament to their durability. The red brick surrounds to many of the openings is typical of many utilitarian outbuildings of their type and date, and creates some modest tonal and textural variation. The scale of these outbuildings provides an interesting historical insight into the resources required to run and maintain even a modest landholding during the nineteenth century. These outbuildings were originally built to serve a modest three-bay two-storey house (now altered and not in survey) that forms the south-east corner of the complex. This complex is one of a number of substantial complexes of outbuildings in the area, which is marked by some of the best agricultural land in County Donegal, and is an addition to the built heritage of the local area.