Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social, Technical

Original Use

Mill (water)


1760 - 1800


239050, 421146

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey former flax mill, built c. 1780, with metal mill wheel attached to west gable and remnants of mill race to west and south-west, now disused. Pitched slate roof with clayware ridge tiles, rendered gable coping to west gable and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rubble stone walls with red brick eaves course. Square-headed window openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds and timber lintels with red brick relieving arches and battened timber shutters to ground floor south elevation. Square-headed door openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds, timber lintels with red brick relieving arches and matchboard timber doors. Remains of mill mechanism in the interior.


A good example of a small flax mill, located within flax growing land, containing many of its original features on the external envelope, a metal mill wheel, remnants of the mill race and most importantly some of its internal mechanisms. It has been given a late eighteenth century date due to that fact that it is depicted on the Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map of c. 1837 and it was in the late eighteenth century that the flax industry in Donegal was at its height. The mill race that fed this mill continues as a stream downhill towards the other mill (40904724) where it feeds the mill pond there.