Survey Data

Reg No

40904718


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1860 - 1900


Coordinates

234018, 419363


Date Recorded

21/10/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay two-storey house, built c. 1880, with two-storey canted entrance bay to centre of front fa├žade and two-storey bowed bay to south. Hipped slate roof with paired yellow brick chimneystacks with coping to centre of roof, and replacement rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with deep smooth rendered eaves course, articulated block-and-start quoins and plinth course. Square-headed window openings to canted bay, bow window and ground floor, with two-over-two horned timber sashes with moulded stone sills with stone and replacement timber cyma recta cornice over console brackets. Segmental arch-headed window openings to first floor with two-over-two horned timber sashes and moulded stone sill course. Round-headed door opening with replacement timber panel door and glazed overlight. Outbuildings, built c. 1850, to rear with hipped slate roofs, rubble stone walls with red brick block-and-start quoins; square-headed window openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds; square and round-headed door openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds and voussoirs and battened timber doors. Set within own grounds.

Appraisal

A fine late nineteenth century house which has retained its architectural integrity and detailing. It is built on the site of an earlier house shown on the Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map of c. 1837. Its character is enhanced by the survival of a good range of farm outbuildings.