Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Previous Name

Christ Church, Church of Ireland Church

Original Use


In Use As



1850 - 1890


236230, 421427

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached four-bay former Church of Ireland church, built c. 1868 with single-bay chancel to east, steeple and entrance porch to north-west corner, renovated c. 1989 and now in use as restaurant. Pitched decorative slate roof with ridge cresting, sandstone ashlar gable coping with sandstone and cast-iron finials, cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared limestone rubble walling with slight battering towards the base, diagonal buttresses capped with ashlar sandstone flags, sandstone brackets to eaves. Three-stage tower with sandstone stringcourses and yellow brick conical steeple. Pointed arch-headed window openings with chamfered ashlar sandstone surrounds and limestone relieving arch, with stained glass in leaded frames with cast-iron quarries. Triple-lancet window to west gable and three-light window with geometrical tracery to chancel. Shoulder-headed door opening to east side of tower with chamfered ashlar sandstone surrounds with double leaf matchboard timber doors with cast-iron hinges. Set in grounds with modern hotel.


A small Gothic church by architect John G. Ferguson of Derry. The contractor was Alexander McElwee. There are drawings of the project, signed and dated 1868, in the Representative Church Body Library. Despite its adaption for a new use it has retained its architectural integrity, character and detailing.