Categories of Special Interest
1860 - 1900
Freestanding lime kiln, built c. 1880, no longer in use and overgrown. Rubble stone walls. Elliptical arch to east side with dressed rubble stone voussoirs and recessed round-headed racking-out opening. Round-headed rubble stone vaulted room to south part of kiln with round-headed arched entrance opening to east side. Cylindrical brick chimney flue opened to top of kiln. Fronts directly onto road, set into natural slope. Former limestone quarry to the south-west.
Although heavily overgrown, this lime kiln has preserved its integrity. Lime was an important material for both farming and construction. Local information suggests that it has been unused since c. 1920. It has retained its brick chimney flue and a handsome stone vaulted room which demonstrates the quality of its construction. Associated with the nearby limestone quarry, it is an important component of the industrial heritage of the area.