Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1850
Freestanding single-bay single-storey coastguard watch tower, built c.1835, on square plan with chamfered corners. Now disused and roofless. Rendered copings to crenellated parapets. Coursed rubble granite stone walls. Pointed-arch window and door openings with dressed voussoirs, and having stone sills to windows. Fireplace to southwest corner. Located on remote site overlooking Gweedore Bay. Former coastguard station nearby.
This curious, folly-like structure was possibly erected by Lord George Hill, an improving but controversial landlord. It probably served a dual purpose, primarily to combat smuggling, but also for maritime safety. It is marked, but not named, on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map.