Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c. 1800, with single-cell toilet extension to the north-west. Rounded pitched thatched roof with netting restraint and timber and metal rope stays to eaves, smooth rendered chimneystacks with stepped coping to gables. Whitewashed random rubble walls, roughcast rendered to east gable. Square-headed window openings with uPVC windows and painted sills. Square-headed door opening with half-glazed uPVC door. Set within own grounds with gable elevation fronting directly onto road. Complex of single-storey outbuildings to rear comprising of pitched corrugated-metal roofs and random rubble walls.
Despite the loss of original fenestration this remains an attractive vernacular thatched house. Thatched buildings, although still relatively common in Inishowen, nationally are becoming increasingly rare making their survival a matter of importance. The rounded pitched roof is designed to minimise the impact of high winds, demonstrating the subtle adaptation of more common thatch detail to accommodate local climatic variations in exposed areas such as the Inishowen peninsula. House is marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map of c. 1837.