Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached four-bay single-storey vernacular house, built c. 1800. Rounded pitched thatched roof with netting restraint and metal rope stays to eaves, and smooth rendered chimneystacks with stepped coping. Roughcast rendered walls, whitewashed random rubble walls to rear elevation and gables. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber casement windows, and painted concrete sills. Square-headed door opening with battened timber stable door. Attached single-storey outbuilding to north-west comprising of pitched corrugated-metal roof, whitewashed random rubble walls, and square-headed door opening with battened timber door. Detached single-bay single-storey outbuilding to south-east comprising whitewashed random rubble walls, pitched corrugated-metal roof, square-headed door opening with battened timber door. Set back from road with garden to front, bounded by smooth rendered boundary wall.
A good example of a sympathetically restored vernacular thatched dwelling. Thatched buildings, although still relatively common in Inishowen, nationally are becoming increasingly rare. The rounded pitched roof is designed to minimise the impact of high winds, demonstrating the subtle adaptation of more common thatch detail to accommodate local climatic variations in exposed areas such as the Inishowen peninsula. The rural setting and the associated outbuildings give a context which enhances its significance. House is marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map of c. 1837.