Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Detached five-bay single-storey house with dormer attic, built c. 1830. Pitched slate roof with grey clayware ridge tiles, smooth rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater-goods; cast-iron framed roof-light to rear. smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls with articulated block-and-start quoins and stepped eaves-course to front elevation; smooth rendered walls to rear and gables. Square-headed window openings with six-over-six horned timber sash and painted stone sills; four-over-one hornless timber sash and single timber framed casement window to rear; one-over-one horned timber sash windows to gables. Round-arched door opening with intersecting tracery overlight and replacement timber panelled door. Set within own grounds with low rubble wall to front; dilapidated three-bay two-storey outbuilding with single-bay single-storey lean-to extensions to gables, pitched slate roof, whitewashed rubble walls and square-headed openings; corrugated-metal roof to extensions. Located to the south of Carndonagh.
This interesting single-storey house, dating to the first half of the nineteenth-century, retains its original character and form. Its integrity and visual appeal is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric including natural slate roof and timber sliding sash windows. The doorway with attractive overlight with intersecting tracery provides an effective central focus. The polite and formal architectural appearance of this structure is unusual in this isolated upland location that is characterised by now ruinous vernacular houses. This suggests that it may have been built as a hunting or fishing lodge by a landlord. This building is an integral element of the built heritage of the local area, and is an attractive feature in the isolated rural landscape to the south of Carndonagh. The outbuilding to site adds significantly to the context and setting, and completes this composition.