Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Previous Name

Linsfort House

Original Use


In Use As



1860 - 1900


231890, 435615

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding multiple-bay two-storey outbuilding complex on a U-plan associated with Loreto House (see 40901810), built c. 1880, with advanced central block with carriage arch. Hipped slate roofs with stone eaves course and smooth rendered chimneystacks. Rubble stone walls with cut stone quoins, partially roughcast rendered. Square-headed window openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds and stone sills. Three-centred arch-headed and square-headed door openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds with double and single leaf matchboard timber doors. Connected to house by a high rubble stone garden wall.


Construction of the original house dates to the early nineteenth century, but this fine complex of outbuildings appears to date, in its current form, to a later period of extension to the property. Although in poor repair the complex has retained its architectural integrity and quality detailing. Its significance is enhanced by its association with Linsfort, now Loreto House (see 40901810). The scale of the complex gives a good sense of what was required to support the maintenance of a country property.