Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1870
Attached five-bay two-storey house\hotel with attic level, built c. 1830 and altered c. 1870. Returns to rear (north). Now disused. Pitched natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles, projecting eaves course, and having four smooth rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots over; one chimneystack to either gable end (east and west), and two to the centre. Raised render coping to gable ends. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls with channelled banded quoins to either end. Square-headed window openings with rendered surrounds, cut stone sills and replacement windows. Bracketed sills at first floor level. Pulvinated sill course at ground floor level, vermiculated stringcourse at first floor level. Central round-headed doorway having timber panelled door, plinth blocks, timber doorcase having engaged timber Doric columns with moulded cornice over, plain overlight, and render surround with vermiculated detail over fanlight. Road-fronted to the south-west of Bundoran town centre.
A well-proportioned and substantial nineteenth-century former hotel that retains its architectural character and form despite being out of use. The front elevation is enlivened by the extensive render detailing, particularly to the openings. The elaborate timber doorcase and decorative surround to the main entrance provides a central focus and lends an air of grandeur to the main elevation. This central focus is further emphasised by the fenestration pattern at first floor level. The loss of some of the original fabric to the openings fails to detract substantially from its architectural expressions. It was probably originally built as a hotel, catering for the many affluent visitors who came to the seaside town during the nineteenth-century, and particularly following the completion of the Great Northern Railway line to Bundoran in 1866. This building is one of the most impressive structures to the south-west end of Bundoran, and is an integral element of the built heritage of the local area.