Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Previous Name

Pettigoe Railway Station

Original Use

Goods shed

In Use As



1860 - 1870


211002, 366607

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Semi-detached two-bay double-height former railway goods shed associated with the former Pettigoe Railway Station, built c. 1866. Now in use as an outbuilding. Pitched natural slate roof having corrugated sheeting to roof ridge and with raised cut stone verges to gable ends. Rock-faced stone chimneystack to the east gable end having cut stone coping over. Snecked rock-faced stone walls. Integral shallow segmental-headed carriage arch having rock-faced voussoirs and modern doors. Square-headed window opening to the north elevation having rock-faced block-and-start surround, stone sills, wrought-iron security bars and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash window. Round-headed former carriage arch to the west gable end, now infilled, having rock-faced voussoirs; roundel opening over to gable apex having rock-faced surround and limber louvers. Set back from road in own grounds to the south of Pettigoe with former railway station adjoining to the east (see 40850010) and former railway platforms to the south having stepped cut stone coping over. Tarmacadam forecourt to the north.


This well-built former railway goods shed retains much of its early character, form and fabric. Its size provides an interesting historical insight into the scale of trade/goods transported along the railway network in Ireland at the time of construction. It survives in good condition, which is indicative of the quality of construction. The use of snecked rock-faced masonry is typical of the Victorian railway architecture in Ireland, and mirrors that found in the main railway station building adjoining to the east. The now infilled round-headed carriage arch to the west gable end were originally accessible by the railway track, suggesting that this building was also formerly in use as an engine shed. It was originally built by the Enniskillen, Bundoran and Sligo Railway Company (Part of the Great Northern Railway) as part of the Bundoran Junction to Bundoran railway line (standard gauge), which opened in June 1866 and closed in October 1957. The main contractor involved in the construction of the railway line was Messrs. Brassey and Field, who completed the line after the previous contractor went bankrupt. This building forms part of a group of related structures with the adjoining former railway station (see 40850010) and the railway bridge (see 4085009) located a short distance to the east, and is an integral element of the built heritage and transport engineering heritage of County Donegal.