Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Artistic, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1950 - 1960


210907, 366804

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding limestone memorial monument, erected in 1953, comprising tapering carved limestone pedestal (on square-plan) having carved soldier figure over with rifle. Inscriptions to each face of pedestal (in Gaelic and English). Set on stepped plinth (on-circular plan) and surrounded by metal railings. Located in the centre of Pettigoe at road junction.


This well-executed monument adds artistic and historic interest to a prominent site to the centre of Pettigoe, and commemorates a significant event in the history of the town. It was erected to commemorate the four men who died during the invasion of Pettigoe by the British Army on June 4th 1922, namely Patrick Flood (of Pettigoe), William Kearney and Bernard McCanny (of Drumquin), and William Deasley (of Dromore, County Tyrone), who died two days later. Pettigoe was the scene of military action in May and June of 1922 during the Irish Civil War. Pro-Treaty forces under Commandant-General Sweeney engaged Ulster Special Forces in Belleek and Pettigoe during late May and early June, making a number of incursions over the border into Northern Ireland. This ultimately led to the involvement of the British Army who invaded and occupied Pettigoe for a number of months. The monument was unveiled in 1953 by the then Minister of Defence, Oscar Traynor, in an event attended by many dignitaries including General Sean McEoin. This monument acts as a focal point in the streetscape to the centre of the town, and is an integral element of the built heritage of the town.