Categories of Special Interest
1890 - 1930
Freestanding cast-iron water hydrant, erected c. 1910, comprising fluted shaft on moulded base surmounted by fluted domed capping with acorn finial over, and having moulded spout. Foundry mark 'Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock' to shaft, and 'Glenfield' to base. Located adjacent to a single-storey outbuilding along laneway to the west of the centre of Killybegs.
An attractive piece of mass produced cast-iron, which is an appealing and subtle feature in the streetscape of Killybegs. This water hydrant is of particular importance as a reminder of the mechanisms installed for the provision of clean drinking water in the period before mains water supply systems. The various fluted details enhance the artistic design quality of the piece, and indicates the equal importance of aesthetics as well as functionality. The foundry mark indicates that it was made at the Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd. foundry, which was the major company selling cast-iron water mechanisms throughout the British Empire during the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century. This simple item of street furniture is one of a number of cast-iron hydrants still extant in Killybegs, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of the town.