Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Attached four-bay two-storey house and public house, built c. 1830. Now amalgamated with building to the west (altered and not in survey). Modern additions to the rear (south). Pitched natural slate roof with projecting eaves course, some surviving sections of cast-iron rainwater goods, clay ridge tiles, and with smooth rendered chimneystacks to either end (east and west). Smooth rendered walls over projecting smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings at first floor level with painted stone sills, and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with exposed sash boxes. Square-headed window openings to the end bays at ground floor level (east and west) having painted stone sills, and with paired four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows with exposed sash boxes and central timber mullions. Two central square-headed doorways having plinth blocks and replacement timber doors. Modern timber fascia panel over doorway. Road-fronted to the west end of Main Street, Ardara. Laneway to the west end of building adjoining to the west giving access to the rear.
A modest but attractive and relatively well-maintained building, of early nineteenth-century appearance, that retains its early form and character despite some alterations. Its visual appeal and integrity are enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as timber sliding sash windows with exposed sash boxes at first floor level, the paired sash windows at ground floor level, and the natural slate roof. Its form with accommodation over public house is a feature of many such buildings aligning the streetscapes of small Irish towns and villages; buildings of this type were, until recent years, a ubiquitous feature of the streetscapes of Irish towns and villages it is now becoming increasingly rare to find examples in good surviving order due to insensitive alteration and demolition. This building is one of the earlier surviving traditional buildings still surviving in good condition in the centre of Ardara, and is an element of the built heritage of Ardara.