Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1895 - 1900


216896, 411494

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Mid-terrace two-bay three-storey structure originally forming part of hotel with structures to either side (see 40826001 and 40826003), built c. 1899. Now subdivided with modern shopfront with offices and\or accommodation over. Pitched natural slate roof slate roof with shared rendered chimneystack to the north end, and with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, concrete sills, render architraved surrounds to second floor openings, and with moulded render stringcourse at first floor level forming hoodmouldings over window openings. Continuous render cornice over shopfront. Modern shopfront having square-headed window and door openings, and with timber pilasters having modern timber fascia over. Square-headed doorway to the south end of the front elevation (east) having timber panelled door and plain overlight. Road-fronted to the centre of Letterkenny.


Despite some alterations, particularly at ground floor level, this attractive and well-detailed three-storey building retains much of its original character and form. It originally formed the central section of the seven-bay three-storey former Temperance hotel with the structures adjoining to either side (see 40826001 and 40826003), later subdivided to form three separate properties. The front elevation is enlivened by the continuous render stringcourse at first floor level forming hoodmouldings over the window openings, the pronounced continuous cornice at ground floor level, and the architraved surrounds to the second floor openings; these features help to unify the three buildings that formed the hotel, and give these structures a strong presence in the streetscape. Its visual expression and integrity are enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the natural slate roof and the timber sliding sash windows. This building is an interesting element of the social history of Letterkenny forming part of a former Temperance hotel, and makers a positive contribution to the streetscape to the centre of the town. The Catholic Temperance movement was started in Ireland in 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew (1790–1856) promoting abstinence from alcohol. It appears to have been particularly popular around 1900 when many Temperance halls were established throughout the country. This was one of a number of Temperance hotels established around Ireland c. 1900.