Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey with dormer attic level public house and house, built c. 1880. Modified and extended c. 2000 with modern extension to the rear (west). Pitched natural slate roof with roughcast rendered chimneystacks to the gable ends (north and south), clay ridge tiles, and with three gable-fronted dormers to the front pitch (east). Rubble granite walls with flush roughly dressed and squared quoins to the corners, formerly rendered; cement rendered walls to the north and south side elevations. Square-headed window openings to the main body of building at ground and first floor level having stone sills, roughly squared granite lintels over, and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with exposed sash boxes. Square-headed window opening to the north end of the front elevation at ground floor level having stone sill, and with paired one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with central timber mullion; fascia over reading ‘Patrick, Johnny, Sally’. Round-headed window openings to dormer openings having timber sliding sash windows with intersecting glazing bars to head, and with timber drop finials to gable apexes. Two central square-headed doorways having replacement timber double-doors. Road-fronted to the south end of Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). Laneway to the south giving access to the rear (west).
This attractive and substantial public house, which probably originally dates to the second half of the nineteenth century, retains much of its early form and character despite some modern alterations. Its visual appeal is enhanced by the retention of the timber sliding sash windows, particularly those to the dormers with round-headed windows with delicate intersecting glazing bars to the heads. This building was originally rendered to the front and its removal detracts somewhat from its integrity; the removal of the render has exposed robust local rubble granite construction with roughly squared stone lintels over the window openings. This building is one of the better surviving traditional buildings aligning Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath) and it makes a positive contribution to the south end of the town.