Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1920
Detached three-bay two-storey bank building with bank manager’s accommodation over having half-dormer attic level, built c. 1910, with single-bay single-storey canted bay windows to either end of the front elevation (east). Two-storey over basement return to the rear (west). Pitched natural s roof with projecting eaves, and with smooth rendered chimneystacks to the gable ends (north and south). Some surviving sections of cast-iron rainwater goods. Three pedimented half-dormer openings to the front pitch of roof (east), segmental pediments to outer bays, having pitched slate roofs, moulded rendered cornice coping over, and with flanking fluted smooth rendered pilasters on moulded brackets. Hipped smooth rendered roofs to canted bays with moulded cornice at eaves level. Smooth rendered walls over projecting smooth rendered plinth course. Square-headed window openings to canted bay windows having continuous sills, stringcourse over openings, and with replacement fittings; square-headed window openings at first floor level (paired to outer bays) having smooth rendered sill course, replacement fittings, and with moulded stucco hoodmouldings over with pediment detail to centres and decorative label stops; paired square-headed window openings at half-dormer level having smooth rendered sill course, and with replacement fittings. Two central square-headed doorways (doorway to the south now infilled with ATM machine) having overlight, replacement timber door, and with stepped moulded stucco hoodmouldings over having decorative label stops, and with stucco shield motifs over. Set slightly back from road in own grounds to the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). Low smooth rendered walls to front (east) having modern metal railings over. Gateway to the north giving access to rear having modern metal gates; laneway to the south giving access to rear (west).
This eclectic bank building, of early twentieth-century appearance, retains much of its early form and character, and is one of the most appealing buildings surviving along Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). The front elevation is enlivened by the extensive render detailing, particularly the detailing to the half-dormer openings, the canted bays, and the hoodmouldings over many of the openings. Its tall façade and detached form give this building a strong presence in the streetscape to the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). The loss of the original fabric to the openings, although regrettable, fails to detract substantially from its appeal and integrity. The form of this building suggests that it dates to the first decades of the twentieth century and that it was purpose-built as a bank as opposed to being a house that was converted to a new use. The canted bay windows are a feature of many contemporary houses and buildings. It has a commanding presence in the streetscape, reflecting the period when bank buildings were designed to express the solidity and wealth of the institution through its architecture. This building is one of the better structures in Dunglow (An Clochán Liath), and is an element of the built heritage of the town.