Survey Data

Reg No

40825014


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1850 - 1890


Coordinates

176964, 411393


Date Recorded

29/09/2010


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay two-storey house with half-dormer attic level, built c. 1870 and altered c. 1930. Pitched slate roof with raised parapet to the front (west) having square-headed perforations and smooth rendered coping over, broad cement rendered chimneystack to the north gable end, and with three cast-iron downpipes from eaves gutter behind parapet discharging into moulded gutter above ground floor openings. Two slightly projecting gable-fronted half-dormer openings to the front elevation (west) having smooth rendered panels to gable apexes with inset roughcast rendered panels, and with smooth rendered coping over. Smooth cement rendered walls with square-headed roughcast rendered panels at first floor level and camber-headed roughcast rendered panels at ground floor level. Projecting smooth rendered stringcourse at first floor level. Square-headed window openings with smooth rendered surrounds, painted sills, and with three-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Window openings at first floor level project slightly from façade. Central square-headed doorway with smooth rendered surround, replacement door and overlight. Road-fronted to the centre of Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath).

Appraisal

This exuberant and eclectically rendered house adds interest to the streetscape to the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). Its visual appeal and integrity are enhanced by the retention of much of its salient fabric including timber sliding sash windows with an unusual three-over-two pane arrangement. The house probably originally dates to the second half of the nineteenth century but the rendered detailing is likely to date to the early-twentieth century. Also of interest is the moulded gutter acting almost as a stringcourse above the ground floor openings. This eclectic house adds vitality to the streetscape, and is an addition to the built heritage of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath).