Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1930
Freestanding cast-iron water hydrant, erected c. 1915, comprising fluted shaft on moulded base and surmounted by fluted domed capping with acorn finial over, and having moulded spout. Modern metal faucet to north side. Foundry mark to base reading ‘Ham Baker & Co. Ltd.. Sited on footpath to the south end of Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). Located adjacent to road junction.
An attractive piece of mass-produced cast-iron, which is an appealing and subtle feature in the streetscape adjacent to the south of the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath). This particular example is notable due to its excellent preservation. This water hydrant is of particular importance as a reminder of the mechanisms installed for the supply of clean drinking water in the period before mains water supply systems. The various fluted and moulded details enhance the artistic design quality of the piece, and indicates the equal importance of aesthetics as well as functionality. The foundry mark to the base indicates that it was cast at the Ham Baker and Company Foundry in London. The company began in 1884 as a partnership between Frederick Ham, William Baker and Claude Sansom in London, trading under the name of Ham Baker & Company Ltd. They produced a huge array of cast-iron pieces such as pipes, hydrants, manhole covers, lamp posts, sewage vents etc. This simple item of street furniture makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath), and is an integral element of the built heritage and social history of the local area.