Survey Data

Reg No

40825011


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Pier/jetty


In Use As

Pier/jetty


Date

1920 - 1930


Coordinates

176502, 411557


Date Recorded

29/09/2010


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Pier\jetty, erected 1923. Constructed of coursed squared mildly rock-faced granite masonry with cement coping to edges, cut granite coping to north end of pier, and with two granite bollards to original end. Flights of cut granite steps to the south-west side having tubular steel handrails. Concrete deck. Pier extended to the south-west c. 1980. Juts out into Dunglow Bay a short distance to the west\north-west of the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath).

Appraisal

This stone built pier is a reminder of the engineering achievements in the early-twentieth century that enabled the economic and social development of the local community. Its survival and continued use is a testament to the quality of its original design and construction. It acts as a tangible reminder of the maritime activities that traditionally supported much of the local economy. The pier is also of technical significance, and was built using local granite masonry, probably by local labour. The flights of cut stone steps and the cut granite bollards to the original end of the pier add some additional interest. A landing slipway is indicated at this location on the c. 1835 Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map and the twenty-five inch map of c. 1904, which attests to a long term maritime use of the site. The Board of Works planned to improve the slipway and build a pier at in 1880 but these plans never came to fruition. This pier was probably originally built by the Congested District Board (1891-1923) who built many piers along the west coast of Ireland in addition to building new houses etc. Although recently extended, this pier is an integral element of the built heritage and social history of the local area, and is an attractive feature in the seascape to the west\north-west of the centre of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath).