Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1880
Detached five-bay two-storey former outbuilding, built c. 1860, having single-bay two-storey addition to the east. Now out of use. Pitched natural slate roof to main building having cast-iron rainwater goods. Mono-pitched roof to the addition to the east gable end. Rubble stone walls with flush red brick block-and-start quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with flush red brick block-and-start surrounds and remains of battened timber shutters. Square-headed doorways with red brick block-and-start surrounds, red brick voussoirs, and with battened timber doors. Road-fronted to the centre of Back Lane, and a shot distance to the south-east of the centre of Ramelton.
This modest outbuilding, which probably dates to the mid-to-late nineteenth century, retains much of its early form and character despite being now out of use. Its visual appeal and integrity are enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the natural slate roof and battened timber fittings to the openings. It is robustly built using local rubble stone masonry while the brick block-and-start surrounds to the openings and to the corners add some textural and tonal variation. These red brick surrounds are a feature of many industrial and agricultural building dating to the second half of the nineteenth century. This modest outbuilding is one of the better surviving examples of its type and date in the historic town of Ramelton, and is an addition to the built heritage of the town. If sensitively restored, it would make a strongly positive contribution to the streetscape to the south-east of the centre of the town.