Categories of Special Interest
1880 - 1920
Detached single-bay single-storey gable-fronted structure, built c. 1900, probably formerly housing water pump. Pitched natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Partially rendered rubble stone walls. Pointed-arched opening to the south-west with no fittings. Square-headed doorway to the south-east elevation, now blocked. Road-fronted on footpath to the centre of Main Street, Creeslough. Located adjacent to two two-storey houses with rubble stone boundary wall to the north-east.
This unassuming single-storey structure, which probably dates to the end of the nineteenth century or very start of the twentieth century, retains its early form and character despite being out of use. Its visual appeal is enhanced by the retention of the natural slate roof while the construction in rubble stone masonry creates an attractive rustic composition. The pointed-arched opening to the south-west gives it a subdued Gothic character, and illustrates a conscious attempt to create a feature of some interest in the streetscape to the centre of Creeslough. The original function is not known but it is located close to the site of a water pump depicted on the Ordnance Survey twenty-five inch map, which suggests that it was constructed to house a pump. Its roofed form would have provided some shelter to residence in inclement weather. This curious feature makes a positive contribution to the centre of Creeslough, and is an addition to the built heritage of the town.