Categories of Special Interest
1890 - 1910
Single-arch former railway accommodation bridge, built c. 1903, carrying the former Letterkenny to Burtonport section of the Derry (Middle Quay) to Burtonport railway line over small private laneway. Railway lines now out of use with tracks removed (c. 1947). Segmental-headed arch having squared mildly rock-faced voussoirs with drafted margins; squared and coursed rubble stone construction to arch barrel. Squared, snecked and coursed mildly rock-faced rubble stone construction to spandrels; rock-faced quoins to base of arch having drafted margins. Squared, snecked and coursed rubble limestone masonry to parapets with rendered coping over. Squared, snecked and coursed mildly-rock-faced rubble stone retaining walls\abutments with rendered coping over to either side of arch (north-west and south-east). Grass deck. Located in the rural country side a short distance to the north-west of the centre of Creeslough with Faymore Viaduct (see 40813002) adjacent to the north-west.
This elegant former railway bridge retains its original form and character despite the closure of the line in 1947. It is well-built using local rubble stone masonry, and it illustrates the attention to detail afforded to railway structures by the railway companies at the time of construction. The good-quality snecked and squared mildly rock-faced masonry used in its construction is typical of late-Victorian and Edwardian railway engineering and architecture in Ireland. It survives in good condition, which is testament to the quality of construction and the skill of the craftsmen involved. This bridge was originally built to serve the Letterkenny to Burtonport section of the Derry (Middle Quay) to Burtonport railway; this section was built by the Letterkenny to Burtonport Extension Railway Company and was opened in 1903. This railway line was built to the 3 foot narrow gauge, a feature of many of the former railway lines in Donegal. The railway line was closed from Gweedore to Burtonport in 1940 but the Letterkenny to Gweedore section remained in use until 1947. This former railway forms part of a group of structures associated with this railway line in the area, and is an integral element of the built heritage and transport history of County Donegal. Today, it survives as an attractive feature in the landscape, marking the entrance and framing a private laneway from the main road to the west. It was probably built to designs by Taggart Aston of Belfast who was responsible for the design and construction of many of the bridges on the Letterkenny to Burtonport narrow gauge railway line.