Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Single-arch former railway accommodation bridge, built c. 1903, carrying the former Letterkenny to Burtonport section of the Derry (Middle Quay) to Burtonport railway line over small private laneway. Railway lines now out of use with tracks removed (c. 1947). Segmental-headed arch having concrete voussoirs; squared and coursed mildly rock-faced rubble stone construction to arch barrel. Squared and coursed rubble stone piers with drafted margins flanking arch. Squared and coursed mildly rock-faced rubble stone construction to spandrels; rock-faced quoins to base of arch having drafted margins. Squared and coursed rubble limestone masonry to parapet to the north-west with rendered coping over. Modern repairs to parapet in places; parapet to south-east now demolished and replaced with metal tubular rail and wire mesh. Tarmacadam deck with grass verges. Located in the rural country side a short distance to the north-east of the centre of Creeslough.
This former railway bridge retains its original form and character despite the closure of the line in 1947. It is well-built using local rubble stone masonry, and it illustrates the attention to detail afforded even the most modest of structures by the railway companies at the time of construction. The good-quality mildly rock-faced masonry used in its construction is typical of late-Victorian and Edwardian railway engineering and architecture in Ireland. The combination of rock-faced masonry and cast-concrete arch ring adds an interesting textural dimension to the structure. It survives in relatively good condition, despite the demolition of the parapet to the south-east. This bridge was originally built to serve the Letterkenny to Burtonport section of the Derry (Middle Quay) to Burtonport railway; this section was built by the Letterkenny to Burtonport Extension Railway Company and was opened in 1903. This railway line was built to the 3 foot narrow gauge, a feature of many of the former railway lines in Donegal. The railway line was closed from Gweedore to Burtonport in 1940 but the Letterkenny to Gweedore section remained in use until 1947. This former railway forms part of a group of structures associated with this railway line in the area, and is an integral element of the built heritage and transport history of County Donegal. t was probably built to designs by Taggart Aston of Belfast who was responsible for the design and construction of many of the bridges on the Letterkenny to Burtonport narrow gauge railway line.