Categories of Special Interest
The Keen House
In Use As
1850 - 1890
Attached two-bay three-storey house, built c. 1870, having full-height return to rear (west) and modern replica traditional shopfront inserted. Multiple modern extensions to rear (west). Pitched natural slate roof with smooth rendered chimneystacks to gable ends (north and south) with corniced coping, cast-iron rainwater goods, and with smooth rendered verges to gable ends terminated by tall rendered pedestals (on square-plan) at eaves level having rendered cornices over. Smooth rendered lined-and-ruled walls to front elevation (east) having chamfered smooth rendered block-and-start quoins to corners. Roughcast rendered walls to north gable end having hand painted name sign. Square-headed window openings to upper floors having rendered architrave surrounds, stone sills, and two-over-two pane horned timber sliding sash windows; continuous sill course at first floor level. Modern shopfront at ground floor level having central recessed square-headed doorway flanked to either side by angled fixed-pane display windows. Modern shopfront comprising fluted pilasters with console brackets over supported fascia over. Road-fronted facing onto the west side of the Market Square in the centre of Carndonagh.
This tall narrow building, of late nineteen-century appearance, retains much of its original form and character despite alterations at ground floor level. Its visual expression and integrity is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the timber sliding sash windows and the natural slate roof. The front elevation is enlivened by the rendered architraves to the window openings and the raised rendered quoins to the corners, both typical features of many late nineteenth-century urban buildings. The raised render verges to the gable ends having pedestal-like features at eaves level is an unusual feature that gives this building a strong presence in the streetscape. The name to the gable 'Donagh Stores / The Keen House' is a good example of the art of the sign painter. This building is an integral element of the built heritage of Carndonagh, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape to the centre of the town.