Survey Data

Reg No

40802016


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Porter's Gate\Moville Gate


Original Use

Gates/railings/walls


In Use As

Gates/railings/walls


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

253845, 448898


Date Recorded

14/10/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Gateway originally serving Culdaff House (see 40802011), erected c. 1826, comprising a pair of tooled ashlar limestone gate piers (on square-plan) having pyramidal coping over. Originally served a secondary entrance into Culdaff Demesne, now out of use. Pedestrian entrances adjacent to either side (east and west) comprising tooled ashlar limestone gate piers (on square-plan) having pyramidal coping over; wrought-iron gate to pedestrian entrance to the west having spear finials. Flanking tooled and squared limestone wall to the south-west having sloping stone coping over. Attendant single-storey gate lodge see (40902015), dated 1826, adjacent to the north-west. Located to the south-east of Culdaff House (40902011). Main gateway (see 40902009) and gate lodge to west entrance to demesne.

Appraisal

This fine gateway was originally built to serve a secondary entrance to Culdaff House (see 40802011). Although the gateway is no longer in use with the majority of the gates now missing, it creates a suitable first impression at the entrance to a demesne of the quality of Culdaff House. It is notable for the refined simplicity and classical elegance of the imposing and well-crafted tooled ashlar gate piers, which are clearly the work of skilled masons and are testimony to the investment associated with such features of a demesne. The surviving wrought-iron gate is an example of ironmongery at the time of erection. Although there was probably a gate way here from the initial construction of the house in 1779, it is likely that this gateway was built in 1826, the date of the attendant gate lodge. This gateway forms part of a pair of related structures along with this attendant gate lodge (see 40802015) adjacent to the north-west, and part of a wider collection of structures associated with Culdaff House (see 40802011).