Categories of Special Interest
1940 - 1970
Freestanding moulded concrete telephone box (on square-plan), c. 1950, now disused. Painted moulded concrete walls with moulded concrete cap and with projecting plinth. Square-headed glazed openings to three faces having fixed-pane multi-pane glazed panels. Doorway to the south elevation having door with fixed-pane multi-pane glazed panels. Located on footpath adjacent to Clonca Church of Ireland Parish church to the centre of Malin.
An increasingly rare reminder of a time before the ownership of mobile phones and domestic landlines, this well-kept mass-produced moulded concrete telephone box is an interesting feature in the streetscape of Malin. The simple form is enhanced by the moulded cap and by the small panes of glazing to each elevation. Mid twentieth-century telephone boxes such as this are becoming increasingly rare survivals, and will become of increasing significance in future years.