Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use



1800 - 1840


246992, 450004

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay two-storey house, built c. 1820. Now out of use. Pitched natural slate roof with grey clayware ridge tiles, and with cast-iron rainwater goods including decorative hopper. Roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with smooth rendered reveals, stone sills, and with six-over-six pane horned timber sliding sash window at ground floor level and three-over-six pane horned timber sliding sash windows at first floor level. Square-headed door opening to the west end of the front elevation (north) having smooth rendered reveals, battened timber door with glazed opening to upper section, and with cast-iron door handle. Fronts directly onto street on the south-east corner of Malin village green.


This simple house, of probable early nineteenth-century date, retains its original form and character despite being no longer in use. It is one of the few buildings located around the village green to the centre of Malin that still retains its original fabric, including attractive multipane timber sash windows, battened timber door and natural slate roof with large slates, which adds to its integrity. This building is of a type that was, until recent times, a ubiquitous feature of the streetscapes of small Irish towns and villages. However, buildings of this type are now fast disappearing due to insensitive alteration and demolition, making this building at Malin an increasingly rare relatively intact example of its type. Sensitively restored, this building would represent an integral element of the built heritage of Malin. This building probably originally dates to the rebuilding of Malin during the early-nineteenth century when twenty-eight new houses were built or rebuilt in the town.