Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1780 - 1820
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, built c.1800, formerly also in use as public house and retail outlet. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimneystacks to gables, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled-and-lined smooth-rendered walls with V-jointed stone block-and-start quoins. Window openings of diminishing height at first and second floor with stone sills, uPVC windows and later external timber shutters. Central round-headed entrance to upper floors with spoked fanlight and Gibbsian stone surround having replacement timber door and limestone threshold. Shopfronts of matching design of c.1880 on either side, comprising plate-glass display windows over rendered stallrisers with replacement timber door to shopfront with fixed overlight. Both shopfronts framed between timber pilasters with ornamental console brackets supporting plain fascia and projecting cornice carried across head of central doorcase. Two-storey outbuildings to rear, built c.1860.
A substantial house on the Main Street of the rigorously planned eighteenth-century village of Mullagh. The house retains its historic character with notable features such as stone quoins and pattern-book door surround. Though an extra storey higher than its neighbours, the exact alignment of the first floor windows with the adjoining houses indicate that the house formed part of an overall unified design for the planned village. The plain shopfront in two separate parts represents a late nineteenth-century addition to the building and illustrates the commercial function of the town. The survival of Classical elements and a balanced shopfront design contribute to the quality of the streetscape and the overall composition contributes strongly to the architectural coherency and character of the village.