Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1790
Single-arch road bridge over river, built c.1770, and parapets altered 1891. South-east parapet recently rebuilt. Squared stone abutments, rubble-stone soffit, elliptical-arch ring of roughly dressed unequal sized voussoirs. Squared and coursed rock-faced spandrels and parapets with vertical ends and rounded mortar capping having date stone inscribed '1891'. Later parapets and spandrels not aligned with earlier arch ring, north parapet recessed at an angle from arch, south parapet projects at an angle beyond south arch. Rubble-stone wing walls with low parapets and rounded mortar capping.
A stone bridge of robust character with curious alterations in the positioning of its spandrels and parapets relative to the structural vault. It is located at a right-angle turning on the road with extensive retaining wing walls to the west. In spite of some unsympathetic alterations the bridge remains a strong addition to the architectural character of its setting.