Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use

Officer's house

In Use As



1810 - 1830


236381, 317136

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached end-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house, built c.1820, formerly with entrance front perpendicular to road, now with entrance front to street. Extension to rear. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, recent pressed-metal rainwater goods, uPVC eaves fascia and soffit. Rendered chimneystacks. Rendered ruled-and-lined walls with block-and-start quoins. Window openings having patent reveals, stone sills with six-over-six timber sash windows to first floor, uPVC elsewhere. Recent timber panelled door to street, set in former window opening, with fixed overlight under bracketed timber canopy with artificial slate roof. Elliptical-arched former door opening to side elevation with leaded stained glass window. Opens directly onto the street with garden to east. Rear access via William Street.


The house was built as part of a terrace to accommodate officers of the nearby cavalry barracks and represents a planned and deliberate approach to urban design, typical for military facilities, and not found elsewhere in Belturbet. The historic configuration, formerly with the entrance front set perpendicular to the street, remains apparent. With the adjoining terrace and the officer's houses beside the remains of the barracks complex, it is an important part of the town's military heritage.