Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1700 - 1800
Detached three-bay single-storey thatched house, built c. 1750. Single-bay lean-to return to rear (west), multi-bay single-storey U-plan thatched extension with flat-roofed entrance porch to north attached at right-angles to north elevation c. 1960 incorporating original outbuilding to north-east. Pitched reed-thatched roof, raised scalloped ridge, mortar skews, squat unpainted smooth-rendered chimneystacks with yellow clay pots. Painted smooth-rendered walling. Square-headed window openings, limestone sills, painted timber casement windows c. 1970. Originally having square-headed door opening to central bay on east elevation now converted to window opening, entrance now through square-headed door opening in extension. Set back from road in grounds, gravelled forecourt, rubble stone boundary wall to east.
This house, which was much extended in the 1960s (in a relatively sensitive fashion), retains a clearly demarcated original section which represents a good example of the vernacular tradition of a type that was once much more common in the Irish rural landscape.