Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1835
Detached multi-bay single-storey stone gate lodge, built 1832. South-facing main carriage arch with two-stage hexagonal castellated tower to west and lower secondary entrance further to west all interconnected by castellated wall. Squared and coursed ashlar limestone walling, splayed ashlar copings to crenellations, stepped parapet carried on stone corbels over entrance arch, armorial plaque inscribed 'Vincit Amort and Patriae'. Slit windows, ashlar limestone dressings, square-headed openings to gate lodge, painted timber sash windows. Pointed-arch carriage opening, moulded reveals, hood mould, scrolled label-stops, gates missing. Surrounded by fields and farmland, overgrown driveway.
This gothick tour de force is undoubtedly one of the more impressive Irish gate lodges. It was erected to the designs of the English architect Francis Goodwin. It is rapidly being reclaimed by nature.