Survey Data

Reg No

32401420


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Country house


In Use As

Country house


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

169311, 338102


Date Recorded

13/10/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey-over-basement stone former mansion, built c. 1820, now in use as private apartments c. 1986. Main house double-pile, three-bay single-storey flat-roofed portico projecting from west elevation, four-bay south elevation, five-bay north elevation with central three bays thrusting forward, parallel outbuilding ranges project from south elevation to east and west sides of yard . Hipped slate roofs, clay ridge and hip tiles, central east-west valley, painted smooth-rendered flat-capped chimneystacks, moulded cast-iron gutters on limestone eaves course on paired limestone corbels projecting from plain frieze. Rubble limestone walling. Square Doric-columned portico on raised pedestal over basement with plain frieze, moulded cornice and square blocks over each column, end bays open, central section infilled to form enclosed porch, approached by steps from south-west. Square-headed window openings, brick dressings, limestone sills, painted six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed door openings, varnished six-panel timber door to south side of portico porch, painted vertically-sheeted timber door with three-pane overlight to north elevation. Remains of conservatory to east elevation (blown down in storm c. 1950). Two-storey outbuildings to north yard, pitched artificial slate roofs, rubble limestone and smooth-rendered walling. In wooded setting, approached by driveway from south. Single-storey three-bay gate lodge, hipped slate roof, projecting eaves with hanging enrichments, dry-dashed walling. Gate screen to north of gate lodge, wrought-iron carriage and pedestrian gates, rubble limestone piers with ashlar caps, eagles on central piers, lamps on outer piers c.1990.

Appraisal

This substantial house retains much of its original fabric including rubble stone walling and sash windows. The wide Doric portico is an unusual feature. Census of Ireland 1911 recorded a total of fourteen outbuildings consisting of stable, coach houses, harness room, cow house, diary, fowl house, barn, turf house, potato house and shed.