Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Detached single-storey limestone gate lodge, built c. 1850. Octagonal on plan, entrance portico breaking forward from north elevation, much-plainer two-storey pitched-roof building extending to rear (south). Roof missing, central corbelled ashlar chimney. Ashlar walling, plain plinth, string course at ground floor ceiling level, frieze with recessed circular and rectangular moulded panels, moulded cornice, plain blocking course stepping up over portico. Segmental-headed window openings, stone sills, blocked-up. Doric columned entrance portico, recessed splayed doors missing. Located at entrance to cemetery, separately recorded (32324001), on Dublin Road.
This splendid little, classically-styled, gate lodge, although derelict and roofless, is impeccably detailed and constructed and retains its original form and massing together with some important salient features and materials. The dark grey ashlar limestone is entirely fitting to the building's intended purpose. Located in the wonderful setting of Sligo cemetery, together with the boundary walls and entrance screen, it forms an attractive feature in the streetscape.